Sunday, April 18, 2010

Identifying the Lesson

I happened to be on the chapter highlighting finding the calm and realizing the lessons in situations and read this:

I have to learn the lessons of humility, which is why I find myself at this time, confined to domesticity, out of networks, beyond a "reputation" I had established, trying hard to find out who to be in this new place. Unnoticed, a non-earner, the epitome of everything I never wanted to be (at home, a full time mom, dependent on a man). I find that there are many gifts in this space of quiet pausing between who I was and who I will become.

This was written by a woman who had an established career and left it to move with her family for her husband's career . . . sounds like a familiar story to me at this point in my life!!

I have been struggling a little with my own thoughts on this. While I love and adore my children, and they are my world, I have never been the woman that longed to stay at home with them. I don't know if this comes from my own insecurities about being the only caregiver and educator - like I think someone else who's licensed would be a better option?! Or if it's just that I need blocks of time when I am able to concentrate on a job other than being a mother?!

Well . . . now I have been put in that situation. And the passage above is so true - I have now become the epitome of what I never wanted to be. But, I am also able to see those gifts. I see who I have been and I know what I want to be in the future . . . so now is the time to be mindful of my moments, and take each and every day to live the actions to develop the character that I want my children to look back and remember. I will sit back and be mindful of my interactions with my daughters . . . I will remember to meditate . . . and I will remember that emotions are just like everything else in the world - they too are subject to the impermanence of life . . . so I will treat them as such.

The beauty of motherhood - it makes you question all of your values and it turns some of your opinions completely upside down. Forget college . . . . welcome to the world's greatest learning experience . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment